Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Apple hand pies!


I'm not sure why, but I'm a total sucker for them. Every time I see hand pies at the store I want to buy them. When I do indulge, the box is opened before I leave the parking lot so I can drive away with one in hand. After all, it's a pie for the hand!

I happened to be at my local conventional grocery store today and saw some by the check stand. I picked up the box that was labeled "freshly baked" and started to read the list of ingredients. The list was seriously 30 mystery 'food' items long.

So I went home with hand pies on my mind and decided to try my own hand a baking some. I've had a dough recipe specifically for hand pies that I clipped from the Food Day section of the Oregonian last year that I've been using to make pot pies with. As for the filling, I simply diced a few apples, added Earth Balance, sugar and cinnamon then placed everything in a pot on the stove to simmer for 30 minutes. Rolled out 10 circles of dough, placed a spoonful of apples in the middle of each one, folded dough over and pinches sides together with a little water and a fork. Spread some Earth Balance on top and sprinkled with sugar. Baked at 375 for 25mins. The final result? Delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment